The Faculty of Anaesthetists was founded in 1959 and was located at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. In 1998 The College of Anaesthetists of Ireland was established and now has premises at 22 Merrion Square. Dr Mary McAleese, who subsequently became President of Ireland, was awarded the first Honorary Fellowship of the College on 23rd September of that year, and while President she performed the official opening of the newly refurbished and extended building in October 2010.
The College of Anaesthetists of Ireland exists to promote high quality practice in the fields of Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine through its training, examinations and educational programmes. As a recognised Training Body, the College is responsible for setting training standards and for the organisation, supervision and counselling of doctors in training in Ireland. The College fosters continuing medical education through its workshops, Masters Degree programme, training courses and a range of educational activities.
The Council elects a President on a three-yearly basis. The current President is Dr Ellen O’Sullivan. There is a permanent Secretariat and Postgraduate Dean at 22 Merrion Square, led by the Chief Executive, Mr. Fintan Foy who was appointed in May 2011.
The Faculty of Pain Medicine of the CAI was founded in 2008. The College awards a Diploma in Pain Medicine. Along with the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, the CAI is a constituent College of the Joint Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine in Ireland, founded in 2009, and prior to that was a founding member of the Irish Conjoint Board of Intensive Care Medicine (1996). This body awards a Diploma in Intensive Care Medicine.